Come join the team at United Steel, New England's largest fabricator and erector of structural steel and miscellaneous metals!
Job Purpose: Responsible for operating a stationary or traveling crane to lift, move, position, and reposition loads. Depresses buttons, lifts levers, and ensures load is safely attached to crane before bringing it down.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for following all United Steel Inc. policies and procedures, including safety policies and procedures as well as site-specific safety procedures set by General Contractors
- Drives or oversees delivery of crane to job site
- Pre-plan erection activities in conjunction with the Superintendent or Foreman including heaviest lift, farthest reach, rated capacity, boom length needed, location of power lines, underground voids, lay down areas and routes for suspended loads
- Oversee inspection of crane assembly and daily visual inspection of crane including maladjustments, wear of components, and safety devices
- Ensure the ground conditions are adequate for crane setup including level, support, ground water accumulation, and blocking
- Complete daily inspection reports
- Inspect rigging including familiarity with rigging chart, determine if signal person is required, and ensure signal person is familiar with rigging chart
- Operate crane under general supervision
- Manipulate or depress cane controls to regulate speed and direction of crane and hoist movement according to written, verbal, or signal instructions
- Inspect crane for safety issues on a daily basis, determine if any parts are malfunctioning, & repair crane as needed
- Lift, position and place machinery, equipment or other large objects at construction sites and industrial facilities
- Drive trucks to worksites and unload trucks
- Place blocks and outriggers to prevent capsizing when lifting heavy loads
- Move levers and pedals to rotate crane on chassis to raise and lower crane boom and to raise and lower load-line
- Bolt boom sections together to extend or modify boom for pile driving or high lifting
- Work with in precise limits and standards of accuracy
- Operate crane according to signals from helper, start and stop crane engine, & follow directions carefully
- This job description is not intended to be all inclusive. Employee may perform other duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Please complete this survey. It must be completed to be considered for the position.
It will open in a separate window. Applicants will not be considered until completing this process.
CLICK HERE FOR SURVEY! (https://www.cultureindex.com/c/4CA893
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or 1 to 3 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Must have a valid driver’s license CDL Class B License and reliable transportation and willingness to travel to jobsites
- Must have State of Connecticut Crane Operator License
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and procedure manuals
- Ability to read and comprehend safety rules, simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Skills Desired: strong attention to detail, ability to multitask, good communications skills
Required Competencies: Safety Mindset, Teamwork Orientated, Time Management, Performance Management, Results Driven
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts, noise and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of conditions within a manufacturing environment. The company provides engineering controls, PPE and regular training to mitigate the employee’s exposure to these elements.
We offer competitive wages, excellent benefits, 401(k) with company match, supplemental benefits and more.
BUILDING OUR FUTURE TOGETHER
United Steel, Inc. is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer