United Steel is currently seeking a Fitter/Fabricator for our 2nd shift with 1-2 years experience. This position safely lays out, fits, and welds fabricated, structural forms such as buildings, stairs and rail parts by performing the following duties.
Please complete this survey. It must be completed to be considered for the position. It will open in a separate window. Applicants will not be considered until completing this process.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs structural steel and/or miscellaneous metals fitting and layout operations to support production needs.
- Selects equipment and plans layout, assembly, and welding.
- Lays out, positions, aligns, and fits components together.
- Bolts, clamps, and tack-welds parts to secure in position for welding.
- Sets up equipment and welds parts, using arc, gas-shielded arc, submerged arc, or gas welding equipment.
- Assembles parts by bolting and riveting.
- Repairs products by dismantling, straightening, reshaping, and reassembling parts.
- Maintains the works area and equipment in a clean orderly condition and follows prescribed safety regulations.
- Perform prescribed preventative maintenance on machines as required.
- Must be able to perform layout on most complex stairs, rails, columns, beams and trustees.
- Must be familiar with the basic machine functions in order to perform the tasks stated above.
- Must be willing to receive and accept frequent supervision and assistance with regards to weld set ups/change overs.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
- High School Diploma, GED and/or Vocational School
- 1-2 years of layout/fabrication experience or technical schooling highly desired.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Basic shop math, reading, writing, and interpret English, basic mechanical skills, effectively utilize lifting devices, ability to interpret shop paperwork and work instructions, ability to verify log and procedures for accuracy
- Skills Desired: strong attention to detail, ability to multitask, good communications skills
Safety Mindset, Teamwork Orientated, Time Management, Performance Management, Result Driven
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts, noise and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of condition within a manufacturing environment. The company provides engineering controls, PPE and regular training to mitigate the employee’s exposure to these elements.
We offer competitive wages, excellent benefits, 401(k) with company match, supplemental benefits and more. Please send your resume and cover letter using the link.
BUILDING OUR FUTURE TOGETHER
An Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employe