United Steel, Inc. is the largest fabricator and erector of structural steel and miscellaneous metals in New England. We have been in business for over 40 years and have safely produced top quality products for our customers.
United Steel, Inc. is actively seeking an experienced Structural Steel and/or Miscellaneous Metals Project Manager. The Project Manager’s job is to plan, direct, and coordinate activities of designated project(s) to ensure that goals or objectives of the project are accomplished within the prescribed time frame and funding parameters.
Please complete this survey. It must be completed to be considered for the position. It will open in a separate window. Applicants will not be considered until completing this process.
CLICK HERE FOR SURVEY!
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for building and maintaining relationships with clients, project managers, job superintendents, engineers, architects and vendors
- Ensure that all knowledge of a project including but not limited to safety, scope, proposal, special instructions, and overall method of construction as interpreted by the estimator is transferred to the project manager
- Demonstrates the ability to effectively manage situations to benefit the company, maintain customer relationships, and maximize profits
- Ability to pro-actively resolve and prepare for situations that may become issues in the future and have the ability to develop a plan to address the situation in a way that supports the business and our customer relationship
- Ensures that all subcontracts are made and written with proper documentation in a manner that meets the needs of United Steel, Inc. and its clients
- Acts as a liaison between detailers, architects, and engineers and documents any communication that affects schedule, price, changes or special agreements or RFI’s
- Ensures that all communications, both internally and externally are followed through in a manner that guarantees all necessary vendors, suppliers, engineers, architects, detailers, and shop and field management are proceeding according to plans and schedules
- Expedites all change orders through the necessary departments (structural, misc.), submits to client immediately, and documents according to internal procedures
- Follows up with change orders and finalizes with client promptly including all necessary documentation
- Reviews project status with financial information and reconciles all discrepancies
- Reviews and approves all invoices from detailers, erectors, outside vendors and processes to purchasing department for final review
- Ensures proper billing on a monthly basis to the client
- Reviews and follows up with clients on any past due payments
- Follows up with field labor on an as needed basis, but no less than once per day
- Interfaces with field foreman at job site on an as needed basis, but no less than once per week to insure all plans and communications are current and applicable
- Maintains all internal procedural communication methods such as daily and weekly reports as well as schedules for structural and miscellaneous metals
- Responsible for project closeout and all necessary information as it relates to billing and documentation
- Coordinates all deliveries from the shop and vendors; ensures that they are within planned schedules
- Coordinates project activities with activities of government regulatory or other governmental agencies
- Projects managed are complex and may require additional attention to detail, i.e. renovations, schools, complex commercial buildings, industrial w/large coordination w/other trades, etc. (Misc. – large quality of scope, long duration on schedule, bright metals, special coatings, special buyouts, complex stairs, field measurements, coordination between structural/misc., etc.)
- Required to follow United Steel and Project Site Safety Rule, which includes wearing all required PPE
- Required to travel to project sites for weekly/bi weekly job meetings and coordinate with customers and other trades affecting our scope
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization
- Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management; Civil Engineering or 8+ year’s related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong attention to detail; ability to multitask and manage time effectively
- Ability to read and understand structural drawings
- Basic math and technical writing skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in both written and verbal form with all levels in the organization, Customers and Vendors; proven ability to effectively influence and motivate others; must be able to deal with ambiguity and various changing requirements. Must be able to work in and encourage a collaborative environment and to perform positively in high conflict situations
- Proficient computer skills on Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Project Management Software, and pdf editors
- Ability to develop effective working relationships, which foster integrity, trust, and respect
- Strong sense of urgency and ability to work through bid process; addressing customer needs and requests, and balancing business needs
- Local Travel Required 25% - 40%
We offer competitive wages, excellent benefits, 401(k) with company match, supplemental benefits and more.
BUILDING OUR FUTURE TOGETHER
An Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer